Verbis sentence example
- Three elegies were formerly attributed to Pedo by Scaliger; two on the death of Maecenas (In Obitum Maecenatis and De Verbis Maecenatis moribundi), and one addressed to Livia to console her for the death of her son Drusus (Consolatio ad Liviam de Morte Drusi or Epicedion Drusi, usually printed with Ovid's works); but it is now generally agreed that they are not by Pedo.
- These works in their original form are lost; but two short treatises entitled De Orthographia and De Verbis Dubiis have come down to us under his name, probably excerpts from the original works, with later additions by an unknown writer.
- The abovequoted assertion as to the substantial identity between philosophy and religion is indeed repeated almost totider y n verbis by many of the later scholastic writers, but its significance altogether depends upon the selection of one or other term of the identity as fundamental or primary.
- 183, " In verbis masculis, no flourishing or painted words, but such words as are fit to go before deeds."
- He compares elegantes from eligere, diligentes from diligere, and continues, " his enim in verbis.Advertisement
- Two other essays appeared in the early part of last century, by Beckhaus, Specimen observationum de verbis airaf XEyou.
- The name does not occur in the Consuetudines feudorum, or in Hotoman's De verbis feudalibus commentarius.
- In 1535 Laelius Capitulus produced from Virgil an attack upon the dissolute lives of the monks; in 1536 there appeared at Venice a Petrarca Spirituale; and in 1634 Alexander Ross (a Scotsman, and one of the chaplains of Charles I.) published a Virgilius Evangelizans, seu Historia Domini nostri Jesu Christi Virgilianis verbis et versibus descripta.