Venusia sentence example
- From Beneventum, another important road centre, the Via Appia itself ran south-east through the mountains past Venusia to Tarentum on the south-west coast of the heel, and thence across Calabria to Brundusium, while Trajans correction of it, following an older mule-track, ran north-east through the mountains and then through the lower ground of Apulia, reaching the coast at Barium.
- It originally ran only as far as Capua, but was successively prolonged to Beneventum, Venusia, Tarentum and Brundusium, though at what dates is unknown.
- Probably it was extended as far as Beneventum not long after the colonization of this town in 268 B.e., and it seems to have reached Venusia before 190 B.C. Horace, in the journey to Brundusium described in Sat.
- From Beneventum to Brundusium by the Via Appia, through Venusia and Tarentum, was 202 m.
- Under Diocletian and Maximian a road (the Via Herculia) was constructed from Aequum Tuticum to Pons Aufidi near Venusia, where it crossed the Via Appia and went on into Lucania, passing through Potentia and Grumentum, and joining the Via Popilia near Nerulum.Advertisement
- It was still a place of some importance under the empire; a branch road from Venusia joined the coast road here.
- There was another Blera in Apulia, on the road from Venusia to Tarentum.