Vendemiaire sentence example
- The vigour and tactical skill of Bonaparte contributed very largely to the success of the troops of the Convention over the Parisian malcontents on the famous day of 1 3 Vendemiaire (October 5th, 1795), when the defenders of the Convention, sweeping the quays and streets near the Tuilleries by artillery and musketry, soon paralysed the movement at its headquarters, the church of St Roch.
- The services which he rendered to the republic at Vendemiaire brought as their reward the hand of Josephine de Beauharnais.
- Vendemiaire and the marriage with Josephine (9th of March 1796) were but stepping-stones to the attainment of the end which he had kept steadily in sight since the spring of the year 1794.
- The unrest in France in the years1795-1797resulted mainly from the harshness, incompetence and notorious corruption of the five Directors who, after the 13th of Vendemiaire 1795, practically governed France.
- The remembrance of the fatal day of Vendemiaire 1795 perhaps helped to paralyse the majority.Advertisement
- Improving upon the procedure of the Convention in Vendemiaire 1795, Bonaparte procured the nomination of three consuls in an article of the new constitution; they were Bonaparte (First Consul), Cambaceres and Lebrun.
- Nevertheless, not being a regicide, he was not appointed to be one of the five Directors to whom the control of public affairs was entrusted after the coup d'etat of Vendemiaire 1795; but, as before, his powers of judgment and of tactful debating soon carried him to the front in the council of Five Hundred.
- He was involved in the royalist movement of the 13th Vendemiaire, and condemned to deportation after the 18th Fructidor; but, thanks to powerful influence, he was left " forgotten "in prison till after the 18th Brumaire, when he was set at liberty by Fouche.
- On the 3rd of October of the same year (11 Vendemiaire, year III.) a solemn fete in honour of the Girondist "martyrs of liberty" was celebrated in the Convention.
- He was appointed in 1793 to a superior command in the army direct from civil life, and as a general of brigade he took part in the fighting of the 13th Vendemiaire.Advertisement
- He was sentenced to be deported after the struggle of Vendemiaire, yet he continued in Paris till the coup d'etat of Fructidor caused him to take refuge in England.
- His energy was largely responsible for the suppression of the royalist insurrection of the 13th Vendemiaire, and the important place he occupied at the beginning of the Directory is indicated by the fact that he was elected by twenty-seven departments as member of the Council of Five Hundred, and became its first president.
- The Parisians were ill-equipped and ill-led, and on the 13th of Vendemiaire (October 5) their insurrection was quelled almost without loss to the victors.
- Beginning with the new year on the 22nd of September the autumn months were Vendemiaire the month of vintage, Brumaire, the months of fog, and Frimaire 6 2 3 „ the month of frost.
- He was tried before the criminal tribunal of the Somme, condemned to death for abuse of his power during his mission, and executed at Amiens on the 24th Vendemiaire in the year IV.Advertisement