Vellore sentence example
- Warren Hastings sent from Bengal Sir Eyre Coote, who, though repulsed at Chidambaram, defeated Hyder thrice successively in the battles of Porto Novo, Pollilur and Sholingarh, while Tippoo was forced to raise the siege of Wandiwash, ana Vellore was provisioned.
- The sepoy mutiny at Vellore in 1807 led to his recall.
- The principal river in the district is the Palar, which rises in Mysore, and flows through North Arcot from west to east past the towns of,Vellore and Arcot, into the neighbouring district of Chingleput, eventually falling into the sea at Sadras.
- The administrative headquarters are at Chittore, but the largest towns are Vellore (the military station), Tirupati (a great religious centre), and Wallajapet and Kalahasti (the two chief places of trade).
- During his administration also occurred the mutiny of the Madras sepoys at Vellore, which, though promptly suppressed, sent a shock of insecurity through the empire.Advertisement
- The next governor-general was Lord William Bentinck, who had been governor of Madras twenty years earlier at the time of the mutiny of Vellore.
- Madras, shortly afterwards joining his regiment at Vellore.
- In 1806 the family of Tippoo Sultan produced a dangerous mutiny at Vellore, which was nipped in the bud by the prompt action of Gillespie and his dragoons.
- At this time took place the mysterious distribution of chapatis, small cakes of unleavened bread, which had previously been known in connexion with the mutiny at Vellore (1806).
- Back to Food and Drink The elegant Vellore Restaurant was formerly the ballroom, and host to the season's sparkling debutantes!Advertisement