Veit sentence example
- The principal manufacturing places are Pravali, BrÃ¼ckl, Klagenfurt, Lippitzbach, Wolfsberg, St Veit and Buchscheiden near Feldkirchen.
- Other principal places are: Villach (9690), Wolfsberg (4852), St Veit (4667), an old town, the former capital of Carinthia up to 1518, Pravali (4047), Travis (3640), a favourite summer-resort and tourist place, Bleiberg (3435), VÃ¶lkermarkt (2606) and Spittal (2564).
- It has the interesting Evangelical church of St John, built in the 15th century, with carvings by Veit Stoss, paintings by Wohlgemut, Martin Sch6n and others, and a ciborium by Adam Krafft; a fountain, the Schone Brunnen, and several schools.
- The cathedral is adorned with many valuable objects of art, paintings and sculptures, by such artists as Veit Stoss, Guido Reni, Peter Vischer, Thorwaldsen, &c. Part of the ancient Polish regalia is also kept here.
- It contains a huge high altar, the masterpiece of Veit Stoss, who was a native of Cracow, executed in 1 477 - 1489; a colossal stone crucifix, dating from the end of the 15th century, and several sumptuous tombs of noble families from the 16th and 17th centuries.Advertisement
- The Dominican church, a Gothic building of the 13th century, but practically rebuilt after a fire in 1850; the Franciscan church, also of the 13th century, also much modernized; the church of St Florian of the 12th century, rebuilt in 1768, which contains the late-Gothic altar by Veit Stoss, executed in 1518, during his last sojourn in Cracow; the church of St Peter, with a colossal dome, built in 1597, after the model of that of St Peter at Rome, and the beautiful Augustinian church in the suburb of Kazimierz, are all worth mentioning.
- In an altarpiece at Ober St Veit and in the scattered wings of the Jabach altarpiece severally preserved at Munich, Frankfort and Cologne, the workmanship seems to be exclusively that of journeymen working from his drawings.
- In front of the altar hangs a curious piece of wood-carving by Veit Stoss, representing the Salutation.
- Adam Krafft, Veit Stoss and Peter Vischer form a trinity of sculptors of which any city might be proud.
- Veit Ludwig von Seckendorf, son of Joachim Ludwig von Seckendorf, was born at Herzogenaurach, near Erlangen, on the 20th of December 1626.Advertisement
- See Richard Pahner, Veit Ludwig von Seckendorff and seine Gedanken fiber Erziehung and Unterricht (Leipzig, 1892), the best sketch of Seckendorf's life, based upon original sources.
- The most interesting buildings are the cathedral church of the Assumption, founded in 1377, and completed with a modern facade copied from that of the Pantheon in Rome; the church of St Veit, on the model of Santa Maria della Salute in Venice; and the Pilgrimage church, hung with offerings from shipwrecked sailors, and approached by a stairway of 400 steps.
- By her first marriage she had a son, Philipp Veit,, who became an eminent painter.
- The principal manufacturing places are Pravali, BrÃƒ¼ckl, Klagenfurt, Lippitzbach, Wolfsberg, St Veit and Buchscheiden near Feldkirchen.
- Other principal places are: Villach (9690), Wolfsberg (4852), St Veit (4667), an old town, the former capital of Carinthia up to 1518, Pravali (4047), Travis (3640), a favourite summer-resort and tourist place, Bleiberg (3435), VÃƒ¶lkermarkt (2606) and Spittal (2564).Advertisement