Veintemilla sentence example
- A revolution headed by General Veintemilla, the Radical leader, then military commandant at Guayaquil, broke out in 1876, and on the 14th of December of that year the government forces under General Aparicio were completely routed at Galte.
- Veintemilla was proclaimed president, and in 1877 was duly elected by the cortes.
- In 1878 Veintemilla caused himself to be declared elected as president for a term of four years.
- This action on the part of General Veintemilla led to a union between the Clericals and Moderate Liberals, and resulted in a popular rising throughout the republic, ending in his defeat and overthrow.
- His power was first restricted to Guayaquil and Esmeraldas, and finally General Rinaldo Flores drove him from Guayaquil, and Veintemilla fled (July 1883) to Peru.Advertisement