Vaygach sentence example
- It is approached from the west by three straits - Matochkin, between the two islands of Novaya Zemlya, and Kara and Yugor to the north and south of Vaygach Island respectively.
- The sea is all shallow, the deepest parts lying off Vaygach Island and the northern part of Novaya Zemlya.
- The origin of the name Vaygach is as dubious as its orthography; it has been held to be Dutch (waaien, to blow, and gat, a strait, hence "windy strait") or Russian, in which case it is probably a surname.
- With Vaygach Island, between it and the mainland, Novaya Zemlya forms a continuation of the Pae-Khoy hills.
- Vaygach is separated from it by the Kara Strait, 30 m.Advertisement
- It comprehends the islands of Novaya-Zemlya, Vaygach and Kolguev, and the peninsula of Kola.