Vatopedi sentence example
- The monks thereupon expelled the abbots by force, and their action was approved by the monastery of Vatopedi, the Greek parent house of St.
- The condemnation of the " heretics " by the Patriarch led to their repudiation by the community of Vatopedi, and at the instance of the Russian ambassador at Constantinople the refractory monasteries were subjected to a rigorous blockade.
- They contain about 8000 names, with their 1 The oldest MS. of Ptolemy's Geography is found in the Vatopedi monastery of Mt Athos.
- The twenty monasteries, which all belong to the order of St Basil, are: Laura (I) Aaupa), founded in 963; Vatopedi (Bar07rE&ov), said to have been founded by the emperor Theodosius; Rossikon (`P wa rtKOv), the Russian monastery of St Panteleimon; Chiliandari (XcXcavrfiptov: supposed to be derived from xiXcoc tiv6pEs or?
- A large academy, founded by the monks of Vatopedi in 1 749, for a time attracted students from all parts of the East, but eventually proved a failure, and is now in ruins.Advertisement