Vatke sentence example
- Vatke considered it a celebration of the spring solstice, Baur a means of removing the impurity of the old year.
- Davidson) follow the view suggested by Vatke (Bib.
- The historico-critical starting-point of the movement was really furnished by De Wette: but it was Vatke who, in his Biblische Theologie wissenschaftlich dargestellt (1835), first brought out its essential character.
- Nearly a generation passed before Vatke's point of view gained any considerable number of adherents.
- In part it may fairly be attributed to the retarding influence of the school of Ewald, but in large part also Well- to the fact that Vatke, a pupil of Hegel, had developed his theory on a priori grounds in accordance with the principles of Hegel's philosophy of history.Advertisement
- Other important works in which English and American scholars have co-operated are the Encyclopaedia Biblica (1899-1903) and Hastings' Bible Dictionary (1898-1904) - the latter less radical, but yet on the whole based on acceptance of the fundamental positions of Vatke, Graf, Wellhausen.