Vassy sentence example
- The other chief producers were Pyrnes-Orientales, Calvados, Haute-Marne (Vassy) and Saneet-Loire (Mazenay and Change).
- It is impossible to review here the Wars of Religion which distracted France, from the " massacre of Vassy " to the publication of the edict of Nantes, thirty-six years later.
- The triumvirates relations with Spain and Rome were very close; they had complete ascendancy over the king and over Catherine; and now the massacre of two hundred Character Protestants at Vassy on the 1st of March 1562 made of the the cup overflow.
- Its terms, however, were not carried out, and during the war which was the inevitable result of the massacre of Vassy in March, L'Hopital, whose dismissal had been for some time urged by the papal legate Hippolytus of Este, found it necessary to retire to his estate at Vignay, near Etampes, whence he did not return until after the pacification of Amboise (March 19, 1563).
- The country was Catholic, and disturbances inevitably occurred, culminating in the attack of the duke of Guise and his troops on the Protestants at Vassy, less than two months after the issuing of the edict.Advertisement