Vanyel sentence example
- Vanyel Ashkevron was the last of the Herald Mages for some centuries.
- Vanyel is neither poor nor dispossessed, but is actually a child of privilege, the eldest son of landed nobility.
- Vanyel falls in love with Tylendel, one of his aunt's male students, a Herald-trainee and chosen of a Companion.
- Vanyel helps Tylendel gain an illegal revenge for the death of his brother, but the plot goes awry, resulting in Tylendel's death and the sudden blasting open of all of Vanyel's own latent magical skills and abilities.
- In despair at the death of his lover and driven nearly mad by the magic he now possesses but can't control, Vanyel is prevented from killing himself by the intervention of Companion Yfandes, who chooses this moment to make her selection.Advertisement
- In later books, Vanyel becomes the most powerful of the Herald Mages, yet cannot prevent the Mages from passing, for a while, into the history books.
- Vanyel's story is told in Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise and Magic's Price, notably some of the earliest books in mainstream fantasy that feature a gay hero.