Vanua sentence example
- Close off the south-eastern shore of Vanua Levu is Taviuni, 26 m.
- South-east from Vanua Levu a loop of islets extends nearly to 20° S., enclosing the Koro Sea.
- Vanua Levu is less fertile than Viti Levu; it has good anchorages along its entire southern coast.
- The eastern, islands of the chain are smaller and more numerous, Vanua Batevu (one of the Exploring Group) being a centre of trade.
- There are boiling springs in Vanua beautiful; their hills rise often above 3000, and, in the case of a few summits, above 4000 ft., and they contrast strongly with the low coral formation of the smaller members of the group. There is not much level country, except in the coral islets, and certain rich tracts along the coasts of the two large islands, especially near the mouths of the rivers.Advertisement
- These are (r) chiefs, greater and lesser; (2) priests; (3) Mata ni Vanua (lit., eyes of the land), employes, messengers or counsellors; (4) distinguished warriors of low birth; (5) common people; (6) slaves.
- Qat was born in the isle of Vanua Levu; his mother was either a stone at the time of his birth, or was turned into a stone afterwards, like Niobe.
- The stone is still shown in Vanua Levu, like the stone which was Zeus in Laconia.
- It is " a far cry " from Vanua Levu to Vancouver Island, and, ethnologically, the Ahts of the latter region are extremely remote from the Papuans with their mixture of Malay and Polynesian blood.
- Melanesia: " man was made of clay, red from the marshy side of Vanua Levu "; woman was made by Qat of willow twigs.Advertisement
- To the north of Fiji, lies the second major island, the stunningly scenic Vanua Levu.
- South-east from Vanua Levu a loop of islets extends nearly to 20Ã‚° S., enclosing the Koro Sea.
- However, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu make up 85% of the land, and only approximately 100 islands are actually occupied.