Valentinois sentence example
- In exchange he received the duchy of Valentinois, as well as military assistance for his own enterprises.
- Cesare, who renounced his cardinalate, was sent on a mission to France at the end of the year, bearing a bull of divorce for the new king Louis XII., in exchange for which he obtained the duchy of Valentinois (hence his title of Duca Valentino) and a promise of material assistance in his schemes to subjugate the feudal princelings of Romagna; he married a princess of Navarre.
- In October he was sent, much against his will, as envoy to the camp of Cesare Borgia, duke of Valentinois.
- The duke of Valentinois had been checked in mid-career of conquest.
- The fruits of this compact were reaped by Cesare Borgia, who resigned his cardinal's hat, became duke of Valentinois, annihilated the minor nobles of the papal state, and made himself the true dictator of Rome.Advertisement
- Accordingly he suddenly took service, in the spring of 1502, with Cesare Borgia, duke of Valentinois, then almost within sight of the realization of his huge ambitions, and meanwhile occupied in consolidating his recent conquests in the Romagna.
- Henry was the most prodigal of lovers, and gave her all rights over the duchy of Valentinois.