Upington sentence example
- Upington (2508) on the north bank of the Orange, an agricultural centre, is the chief town in Gordonia, the western division of southern Bechuanaland.
- Before Sir Charles Warren reached Africa, Sir Thomas Upington, the Cape premier, and Sir Gordon Sprigg, the treasurer-general, went to Bechuanaland and arranged a " settlement " which would have left the Boer filibusters in possession, but the imperial government refused to take notice of this " settlement."
- Upington (2508) lies further west on the north bank of the Orange and is the largest town in the western part of Bechuanaland.
- Mr Upington, a clever Irish barrister, was the man he selected, and under him was formed in 1884 what will always be known in Cape history as the " Warming-pan " ministry.
- In 1886 Sir Gordon Sprigg succeeded Sir Thomas Upington as prime minister.Advertisement
- Mr Upington.