Uomini sentence example
- Nevertheless much of the old order was restored; the podestet who represented King Charles was assisted by 12 buoni uomini, and by the council of the 100 buoni uomini del popolo, " without the deliberation of whom," says Villani, "no great matter nor expenditure could be undertaken."
- Cardinal Latino to some extent succeeded, and was granted a kind of temporary dictatorship. He raised the 12 buoni uomini to 14 (8 Guelphs and 6 Ghibellines), to be changed every two months; and they were assisted by a council of loo.
- After 1282 the signoria was composed of the 3 (afterwards 6) priori of the gilds, who ended by ousting the buoni uomini, while a defensor artificum et artium takes the place of the capitano; thus the republic became an essentially trading community, governed by the popolani grassi or rich merchants.
- In the 14th century twelve buoni uomini representing the wards (sestieri) were superadded, all these dignitaries holding office for two months only.
- Roscoe's Life of Lorenzo de' Medici, Vespasiano's Vite di uomini illustri, and J.Advertisement
- Of these works the best known is the Dei Dozeri degli uomini, a series of trite maxims which do honour to his piety rather than to his critical judgment.