Umtetwa sentence example
- At that time the most powerful of the neighbouring tribes was the Umtetwa (mTetwa or Aba-Tetwa) which dwelt in the country north-east of the Tugela.
- The ruler of the Umtetwa was a chief who had had in early life an adventurous career and was known as Dingiswayo (the Wanderer).
- He too divided the young men of his tribe into impis (regiments), and the Umtetwa became a formidable military power.
- Chaka joined in his patron's raids, and in 1812 the Umtetwa and Zulu drove the Amangwana across the Buffalo river.
- The Umtetwa army then placed themselves under Chaka, who not long afterwards conquered the Undwandwe.Advertisement