Umfraville sentence example
- (1124) his successor, David I., is attended by men of Norman names, Moreville, Umfraville, Somerville, Bruce, FitzAlan (the ancestor of the Stewards of Scotland, and himself of an ancient Breton house), and so on.
- UMFRAVILLE, the name of an English baronial family, derived from Amfreville in Normandy.
- Members of this family obtained lands in Northumberland, including Redesdale and Prudhoe, from the Norman kings, and a later member, Gilbert de Umfraville (d.
- 1370), while others, including Redesdale, Harbottle and Otterbourne, came to his half-brother, Sir Thomas de Umfraville (d.
- Sir Thomas's son, another Sir Thoiiias de Umfraville (1362-1391), left a son, Gilbert de Umfraville (1390-1421), who fought on the Scottish border and in France under his warlike uncle, Sir Robert de Umfraville (d.Advertisement
- His heir was his uncle Sir Robert, who died on the 29th of January 1436, when the male line of the Umfraville family became extinct.
- Sir Robert Umfraville (d.
- His son and heir, Gilbert de Umfraville (1310-1381), claimed the earldom, which he hoped to gain by helping Edward Baliol to win the Scottish crown, but he failed, and on his death without issue the greater part of his English estates passed to his niece, Eleanor, the wife of Sir Henry Talboys (d.