Umfolosi sentence example
- Quartzites, Conglomerates and Shales of Nkandhla, Umfolosi river.
- A group of highly inclined quartzites, altered conglomerates and jasperoid rocks which crop out on the Umhlatuzi river, between Melmoth and Nkandhla and on the White Umfolosi river above Ulundi Ph ins, is considered by Anderson to represent some portion of the Lover Witwatersrand series.
- The Umfolosi, with two main branches, the Black and White Umfolosi, drains the central part of the country and reaches the ocean at St Lucia Bay.
- In the bed of the White Umfolosi are dangerous quicksands.
- The royal kraal for a considerable period was at Ulundi, in the valley of the White Umfolosi.Advertisement
- At what period the Zulu (one of a number of closely allied septs) first reached the country to which they have given their name is uncertain; they were probably settled in the valley of the White Umfolosi river at the beginning of the 17th century, and they take their name from a chief who flourished about that time.
- the king at Umgungindhlovu, the royal kraal on the White Umfolosi, " surrounded by a large number of chiefs and about 8000 or 9000 armed men, observing a state and ceremony in our introduction little expected."
- The 2nd division (with which was Lord Chelmsford) and Wood's column crossed the White Umfolosi on the 4th of July - the force numbering 4200 Europeans and 1000 natives.
- north of the White Umfolosi River, and 115 m.
- The valley of the White Umfolosi here forms an extensive basin called the Emhlabatini, and from the time of Chaka to the overthrow of Cetywayo in 1883 was the exclusive place of residence of the Zulu kings.Advertisement
- On the ist of July Newdigate and Wood had reached the White Umfolosi, in the heart of the enemy's country.