Umbellatus sentence example
- Thus, the Lent lily is Narcissus Pseudonarcissus; the African lily is Agapanthus umbellatus; the Belladonna lily is Amaryllis Belladonna (q.v.); the Jacobaea lily is Sprekelia formosissima; the Mariposa lily is Calochortus; the lily of the Incas is Alstroemeria pelegrina; St Bernard's lily is Anthericum Liliago; St Bruno's lily is Anthericum (or Paradisia) Liliastrum; the water lily is Nymphaea alba; the Arum lily is Richardia africana; and there are many others.
- A. umbellatus, the old kind, is hardy in some mild seashore districts, and a fine plant in rich warm soil, but better for the protection of leaves round the root in winter.
- Of the best-known kind, A. umbellatus, there are several varieties; major and maximus are both larger than the type, and of maximus there is a white-flowered variety.
- The largest is A. umbellatus giganteus, with high flower-spikes 3 to 4 feet, with umbels bearing from 150 to 200 flowers.
- Of A. umbellatus there is a double-flowered variety, a distinct plant.Advertisement
- B. umbellatus is a handsome native waterplant, often very fine in a rich, muddy soil, and hardy and free to flower.