Uglich sentence example
- UGLICH, a town of Russia, in the government of Yaroslavl, on the upper Volga, 63 m.
- Until the 14th century Uglich was a separate principality, which extended over eastern Tver.
- In 1329 the sons of Prince Roman the Saint renounced their independence in favour of Moscow, and fifty years later the Uglich princes sold their rights to the great prince of Moscow.
- Uglich >>
- The reign of Theodore began with a rebellion in favour of the infant tsarevich Demetrius, the son of Ivan's fifth wife Marie Nagaya, a rebellion resulting in the banishment of Demetrius, with his mother and her relations, to their appanage at Uglich.Advertisement
- The sudden death of the tsarevich Demetrius at Uglich (May 15, 1591) has commonly been attributed to Boris, because it cleared his way to the throne; but this is no clear proof that he was personally concerned in that tragedy.