Ubie sentence example
- He increased the pros- and French perity of his land considerably, but by so doing roused the jealousy of Ras Marie of Amhara - to whom he had refused tribute - and Ubie, son of Hailo Mariam, a governor of Simen.
- In an ensuing battle (in January 1831), both Sabagadis and Marie were killed, and Ubie retired to watch events from his own province.
- But Ubie, who was aiming at the crown, soon attacked Ras Ali, and after several indecisive campaigns proclaimed himself negus of Tigre.
- Northern Abyssinia was now divided into two camps, the one, Amhara and Ras Ali, under Protestant British, and the other, Tigre and Ubie, under Roman Catholic French, influence.
- Ali and Ubie, these two princes combined against him, but were heavily defeated by him at Gorgora (on the southern shore of Lake Tsana) in 1853.Advertisement
- Ubie retreated to Tigre, and Ras Ali fled to Begemeder, where he eventually died.
- Shortly afterwards Kassa moved against Tigre, defeated Ubie's forces at Deragie, in Simen (February 1855), took their chief prisoner and proclaimed himself negus negusti of Ethiopia under the name of Theodore III.