Ubaye sentence example
- It soon becomes the boundary for a while between the departments of the HautesAlpes and of the Basses-Alpes, and receives successively the considerable Ubaye river, flowing from near the foot of Monte Viso past Barcelonnette (left), and then the small stream of the Luye (right), on which, a few miles above, is Gap. It enters the Basses-Alpes shortly before reaching Sisteron, where it is joined (right) by the wild torrent of the Busch, flowing from the desolate region of the Devoluy, and receives the Bleone (left) (on which Digne, the capital of the department, is situated) and the Asse (left), before quitting the department of the Basses-Alpes just as it is reinforced (left) by the Verdon, flowing from the lower summits of the Maritime Alps past Castellane.
- Col Girardin (Ubaye Valley to the Queyras Valley), bridle path..
- 8,823 Col de Longet (Ubaye Valley to Val Varaita), bridle path.
- 8,767 Col de Mary or de Maurin (Ubaye Valley to Val Maira), bridle path.
- 7,166 Col de Vars (Ubaye Valley to the Queyras Valley), carriage road.Advertisement
- on the right bank of the Ubaye river, on which it is the most important place.
- The river Durance passes through the western part of this department, receiving (left), as affluents, the Ubaye, the Bleone and the Asse (the entire course of each of these rivers is included within the department) as well as the Verdon, the upper course of which is within the department, while the lower course forms its southern limit.
- It is a poor and hilly district, the highest summits (the loftiest is the Aiguille de Chambeyron, 11,155 ft.) rising round the head waters of the Ubaye.
- From near the head of the Ubaye valley the pass of the Col de l'Argentiere (6 545 ft.) leads over from Barcelonnette to Cuneo, in Italy: it was perhaps traversed by Hannibal, and certainly in 1515 by Francis I.