Ubasti sentence example
- BUBASTIS, the Graecized name of the Egyptian goddess Ubasti, meaning "she of.
- [the city] Bast" (B;s-t), a city better known by its later name, P-ubasti, "place of Ubasti"; thus the goddess derived her name Ubasti from her city (Bast), and in turn the city derived its name P-ubasti from that of the goddess; the Greeks, confusing the name of the city with that of the goddess, called the latter Bubastis, and the former also Bubastis (later Bubastos).
- Ubasti was one of many feline goddesses, figured with the head of a lioness.
- The Greeks equated Ubasti with their Artemis, confusing her with the leonine Tafne, sister of Shoou (Apollo).
- The Egyptians themselves delighted in identifying together goddesses of the most diverse forms and attributes; but Ubasti was almost indistinguishable in form from Tafne.Advertisement
- Busiris is here probably an earlier and less accurate Graecism than Osiris for the name of the Egyptian god Usiri, like Bubastis, Buto, for the goddesses Ubasti and Uto.
- She was worshipped at Latopolis (Esna), but ilso at a late date as a member of the Memphite triad, with Ptah Is husband and Neferteni (Iphthimis) as son: often, too, confounded with Ubasti.