Tavistock sentence example
- At the Restoration he was elected for the family borough of Tavistock.
- The bridge over the East Dart near Tavistock had three piers, with slabs FIG.
- The early history of Tavistock (Tavistoke) centres round the abbey of St Rumon.
- Both town and abbey were sacked by the Danes in 997, but were shortly afterwards rebuilt, and the latter at the time of the Conquest ranked as the wealthiest house in Devon, including the hundred and manor of Tavistock among its possessions.
- Tavistock was governed from before the Conquest by a portreeve, who in the 14th century was assisted by a select council of burgesses, styled in 1660 "the Masters of the Toune and Parish of Tavistock."Advertisement
- Tavistock was one of the four stannary towns appointed by charter of Edward I., at which tin was stamped and weighed, and monthly courts were held for the regulation of mining affairs.
- It was also the site of one of the earliest printing-presses, and copies of the stannary laws and of a translation of Boethius issued from the Tavistock press in the reign of Henry VIII.
- The mitred abbots in England were those of Abingdon, St Alban's, Bardney, Battle, Bury St Edmund's, St Augustine's Canterbury, Colchester, Croyland, Evesham, Glastonbury, Gloucester, St Benet's Hulme, Hyde, Malmesbury, Peterborough, Ramsey, Reading, Selby, Shrewsbury, Tavistock, Thorney, Westminster, Winchcombe, St Mary's York.
- Tavistock abbey Once the largest and wealthiest abbeys in Southwest England, most of Tavistock Abbey now lies in an L-shaped ruin.
- One morning, as he was about to drove some bullocks to Tavistock market, his wife dashed out into the yard.Advertisement
- In 1943 Kenneth Williams was briefly with an amateur dramatics troupe, the Tavistock Players.
- Like the Tavistock Institute's more specialized occasional group psychotherapy courses, the ' Midlands Course ' is not professionally validated.
- The decay of the woollen industry at Tavistock was attributed by the inhabitants in 1641 to the dread of the Turks at sea and of popish plots at home.
- Search for relax and recharge accommodation in South West England www.relaxsouthwest.co.uk Langstone Manor Park, Tavistock, Devon Cottage perfect, moors perfect.
- The ancient stannary market town of Tavistock is 6 miles to the east.Advertisement
- Tavistock, like Ashburton, was one of the key stannary power bases on the outskirts of Dartmoor.
- Like the Tavistock Institute 's more specialized occasional group psychotherapy courses, the ' Midlands Course ' is not professionally validated.