Tammam sentence example
- Like Abu Tammam, he was of the tribe of Tai.
- While still young, he went to visit Abu Tammam at Homs, and by him was commended to the authorities at Ma'arrat unNu`man, who gave him a pension of 4000 dirhems (about X90) yearly.
- He died about fifty years before Abu `Ubaida and al-Asma`i, to whose labours posterity is largely indebted for the arrangement, elucidation and criticism of ancient Arabian verse; and his anthology was put together between fifty and sixty years before the compilation by Abu Tammam of the Ilamasa (q.v.).
- Many are mere fragments, and even in the longest there are often lacunae; but the compiler evidently set down all that he could collect of a poem from the memory of the rawis, and did not, like Abu Tammam, choose only the best portions.
- In the 9th century two of the best-known poets - Abu Tammam and Bulhturi (q.v.) - were renowned for their knowledge of old poetry (see Hamasa) and were influenced by it in their own verse.Advertisement