Siris sentence example
- Here Pyrrhus, king of Epirus, defeated the consul Laevinus in 280 B.C., after he had crossed the river Siris.
- Ionian Greeks fleeing from foreign invasion founded Siris about 650 B.C., and, much later, Elea (540).
- After the Achaean cities had combined to destroy the Ionic Siris, and had founded Metapontum as a counterpoise to the Dorian Tarentum, there seems to have been little strife among the Italiotes.
- These may be compared with Berkeley's Siris.
- Of these the most important are - the Bradanus (Bradano), the Casuentus (Basiento), the Aciris (Agri), and the Siris (Sinno).Advertisement
- The towns on the east coast were - Metapontum, a few miles south of the Bradanus; Heraclea, at the mouth of the Aciris; and Siris, on the river of the same name.
- In 1744 was published the Siris, partly occasioned by the controversy as to the efficacy of tar-water in cases of small-pox, but rising far above the circumstance from which it took its rise, and revealing hidden depths in the Berkeleian metaphysics.
- Furious, Harry gathers his things and leaves in the middle of the night only to discover that a convicted murderer and supporter of Lord Voldemort, Siris Black, has escaped from the wizard prison, Azkaban.
- Once you see him in the role you can't imagine anyone, but Gary Oldman as Siris Black.