Schlei sentence example
- From 1850 onwards it was again repaired and strengthened at great cost, and was considered impregnable; but in the war of 1864 the Prussians turned it by crossing the Schlei, .and it was abandoned by the Danes on the 6th of February without a blow.
- It is situated at the west end of the long narrow arm of the sea called the Schlei, 30 m.
- Between Friedrichsberg and Lollfuss on an island between the Schlei and Burg See is the old château of Gottorp, now used as barracks.
- The former commercial importance of the town has disappeared, and the Schlei now affords access to small vessels only.
- The town, which obtained civic rights in 1200, also became the seat of the dukes of Schleswig, but its commerce gradually dwindled owing to the rivalry of Lubeck, the numerous wars in which the district was involved, and the silting up of the Schlei.Advertisement
- Charlemagne had established a~ march between the Eider and the Schlei; but in course of time the Danes had not only seized this territory, but had driven the German population beyond the Elbe.
- The Saxons had been slowly reconquering the lost ground, and now Henry, advancing with his victorious army into Jutland, forced Gorm, the Danish king, to become his vassal and regained the land between the Eider and the Schlei.
- Peace was maintained with Canute, and in 1035 a treaty The was concluded and the land between the Eider and neigh- the Schlei was ceded to Denmark.
- The peninsula of Angeln, between the Gulf of Flensburg and the Schlei, is supposed to have been the original seat of the English, and observers profess to see a striking resemblance between this district and the counties of Kent and Surrey.
- Between Friedrichsberg and Lollfuss on an island between the Schlei and Burg See is the old chÃ¢teau of Gottorp, now used as barracks.Advertisement