Scharnhorst sentence example
- But at the critical moment the duke of Brunswick fell mortally wounded, and Scharnhorst, his chief of the staff, was at the time absent on another part of the field.
- Seeing further efforts hopeless, Scharnhorst in the duke's name initiated the retreat and the troops withdrew N.W.
- The German squadron consisted of the armoured cruisers " Scharnhorst " (flag) and " Gneisenau " (both 1908, 11,420 tons, 8 8-in., 6 5.9-in., 202 knots) and the light cruisers " Leipzig " (1906, 3,200 tons, io 4.1-in., 20 knots), " Nurnberg " (1908, 3,39 6 tons, 10 4.1-in., 22 knots) and " Dresden " (1908, 3,544 tons, 12 4.1-in., 25 knots).
- she reported the " Scharnhorst " and " Gneisenau " steering between S.E.
- The rest of the German squadron joined in, the "Scharnhorst " engaging the " Good Hope," the " Gneisenau " the " Monmouth," and the " Leipzig " the " Glasgow."Advertisement
- Thirty-five hits had been counted on her by the " Scharnhorst's " gunners.
- The " Scharnhorst " was hit twice with little injury; the " Gneisenau " received three hits, one of which bent the flap of the after turret, an injury of little moment.
- She seconded the reforming efforts of Stein and the work of Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in reorganizing the army, by which the resurrection of Prussia became a possibility.
- The revolution in which Alaric, Theodoric and Clovis figured did not set the problem for the middle ages only, as is frequently stated; its full meaning did not appear until the Peninsular War, the Prussia of Stein and Scharnhorst, and even Solferino and Sedan.
- At the same time he approved himself in the pulpit and elsewhere as a large-hearted and fearless patriot in that time of national calamity and humiliation, acquiring a name and place in his country's annals with Arndt, Fichte, Stein and Scharnhorst.Advertisement
- I~Ien like Stein, Hardenberg and Scharnhorst were secretly preparing Prussias retaliation.