Scaphopoda sentence example
- B, Scaphopoda.
- This is not always the case with Lamellibranchs; there is in the group a tendency for the corresponding edges of the mantle-skirt to fuse together by concrescence, and so to form a more or less completely closed bag, as in the Scaphopoda (Dentalium).
- - Scaphopoda.
- An additional class was instituted for the reception of Dentalium and its few allies, and for this class Bronn's name Scaphopoda was used.Advertisement
- The Lamellibranchia are no longer regarded as a distinct branch in contrast to the remaining Mollusca; according to Pelseneer they are allied to the Gastropoda and Scaphopoda, all three classes being derived from a common hypothetical ancestor, called Prorhipidoglossum.
- In the Scaphopoda there is no distinct genital duct, the relations are as in Aspidobranchia.
- SCAPHOPODA, the third of the five classes into which the Phylum Mollusca is divided.'
- The Scaphopoda are marine Molluscs with the body, especially the foot, adapted to a burrowing life in sand.
- It is remarkable that in Scaphopoda only among Mollusca the blood-spaces are in communication with the external medium: a pair of apertures near the renal openings lead from the perianal sinus to the exterior and allow the blood to escape during violent contractions of the body.Advertisement
- - Scaphopoda feed on the lowest marine organisms such After Kowalewsky, in Lanas Diatoms, Protozoa, &c. There are 150 's Treatise on Zoology, living and about 275 known fossil species.
- In Polyplacophora there are eight on each side (8.I.8); in Scaphopoda two on each side (2.I.2); in almost all Cephalopoda three on each side (3.I.3); in Gastropoda the number varies very much in different subdivisions.