Scaligers sentence example
- The Scaligers in Verona and the Carraresi in Padua were strengthened; and in Tuscany Castruccio Castracane, Ugucciones successor at Lucca, became formidable.
- During this second struggle to the death with Genoa, the Venetians had been also at strife with the Carraresi of Padua and the Scaligers of Verona.
- In 1258 it fell into the hands of Eccelino of Verona, and belonged to the Scaligers (della Scala) until 1421, when it came under the Visconti of Milan, and in 1426 under Venice.
- On his return to Avignon he engaged in public affairs, pleaded the cause of the Scaligers in their lawsuit with the Rossi for the lordship of Parma, and addressed two poetical epistles to Pope Benedict XII.
- During the spring months of 1341 his friend Azzo di Correggio had succeeded in freeing Parma from subjugation to the Scaligers, and was laying the foundations of his own tyranny in that city.Advertisement
- As for v, it has a marked tendency to become confounded, especially as an initial letter, with the sonant explosive b; Joseph Scaligers punbibere est vivere--is applicable to the Castilians as well as to the Gascons.
- Etiennes of Paris, equalling in numbers, and RePorma- learning their Venetian rivals; the two Scaligers; impas sioned Dolet; eloquent Muret; learned Cujas; terrible Calvin; Ramus, the intrepid antagonist of Aristotle; France De Thou and De Beze; ponderous Casaubon; brilliant young Saumaise.