Sayes sentence example
- Facing the castle, on the western side of the pill, stand the considerable remains of Monkton Priory, a Benediction house founded by Earl William Marshal as a cell to the abbey of Seez or Sayes in Normandy, but under Henry VI.
- He went in 1652 to Sayes Court at Deptford, a house which Sir Richard Browne had held on a lease from the crown.
- In 1694 he left Sayes Court to live at Wotton with his brother, whose heir he had become, and whom he actually succeeded in 1699.
- Evelyn's house at Sayes Court had been let to Captain, afterwards Admiral John Benbow, who was not a "polite" tenant.
- A mansion known as Sayes Court, taken down in 1729, was the residence of the duke of Sussex in the reign of Elizabeth; it was occupied in the following century by John Evelyn, author of Sylva, and by Peter the Great during his residence in England in 1698.Advertisement