Sayads sentence example
- The apostles who completed the conversion of the Pathans to Islam were called Sayads if they came from the west, and Sheikhs if they came from the east; hence doubtless many false claims to Sayad origin.
- In Afghanistan the Sayads have much of the commerce in their hands, as their holy character allows them to pass unharmed where other Pathans would be murdered.
- The Sayads gave a short-lived dynasty to India, which reigned at Delhi during the first half of the 15th century.
- In 1901 the total number of Sayads in all India was returned at 1,339,734.
- The first Mahommedan appointed to the Council of India and the first appointed to the Privy Council were both Sayads.Advertisement
- The pure Mahommedans may again be subdivided into f our sections: Moguls, or the descendants of the last conquering race, including Persians; Afghans or Pathans, who from their proximity to the frontier are much more strongly represented, chiefly in the Punjab and in the Rohilkhand division of the United Provinces; Sayads, who claim to be lineally descended from the Prophet; and Sheikhs, which is a name often adopted by converts.
- or more in height, look impenetrable, but narrow winding lanes exist in them, known only to the Sayads (Arab.