Saturae sentence example
- The latest and probably the most important of these rude and inchoate forms was that of dramatic saturae (medleys), put together without any regular plot and consisting apparently of contests of wit and satiric invective, and perhaps of comments on current events, accompanied with music (Livy vii.
- In the year after the war (240), when the armies had returned and the people were at leisure to enjoy the fruits of victory, Livius Andronicus substituted at one of the public festivals a regular drama, translated or adapted from the Greek, for the musical medleys (saturae) hitherto in use.
- Another work was the Saturae, written in various metres, but chiefly in the trochaic tetrameter.
- His Menippeae Saturae, miscellanies in prose and verse, of which unfortunately only fragments are left, was a work of singular literary interest.
- to xxix., which were written in the trochaic and iambic metres that had been employed by Ennius and Pacuvius in their Saturae.Advertisement
- The saturae of Ennius were collections of writings on various subjects, written in various metres and contained in four (or six) books.
- Original compositions were also contained in these saturae, and among them the panegyric on Scipio, unless this was a drama.