Sarsens sentence example
- in diameter) formed by great monoliths (sarsens), originally thirty in number, with large }?5?.
- within this circle and concentric with it is another, formed of smaller "blue stones," originally forty in number, but only a few of which now remain in situ; within that was a horseshoe of five huge trilithons formed by ten monoliths with their imposts (all sarsens); and within the horseshoe was an inner horseshoe of "blue stones," originally nineteen in number.
- Only half the outer circle (sarsens) now remained upright, three on the west, thirteen on the east; and this indicated the effect of the prevalent west wind.
- The finding of chips of "sarsens" and "blue stones" together "down to the bed of the rock" would seem to disprove the theory that the inner circle and inner horseshoe were built earlier than the rest of the monument.
- The stones are all the native Sarsens which occur everywhere in the district, and show no evidence of having been hewn.Advertisement