Sarnus sentence example
- SARNO (anc. Sarnus), a town of Campania, Italy, in the province of Salerno, 15 m.
- above sea-level, near the sources of the Sarno (anc. Sarnus), a stream connected by canal with Pompeii and the sea.
- Nocera Inferiore, q.v.), an ancient town of Campania, Italy, in the valley of the Sarnus (Sarno), about io m.
- In the period before the Roman supremacy it appears to have been the chief town in the valley of the Sarnus, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Stabiae and Surrentum all being dependent upon it.
- In 308 it repulsed a Roman attempt to land at the mouth of the Sarnus, but in 307 it was besieged and surrendered.Advertisement
- POMPEII, 1 an ancient town of Campania, Italy, situated near the river Sarnus, nearly 2 M.
- distant, and adjoining the mouth of the river Sarnus or Sarno, which now enters the sea nearly 2 m.
- The chief rivers on the south-west are the Liri or Garigliano (anc. Liris), with its tributary the Sacco (Trerus), the Volturno (Volturnus), Sebeto (Sabatus), Sarno (Sarnus), on the north the Trigno (Trinius), Biferno (Tifernus), and Fortore (Frento).