Saraiva sentence example
- The Blancos, using the fraudulent elections in 1896 as a pretext, now broke out in armed revolt under the leadership of Aparicio Saraiva.
- On September 3, 1904, the revolutionary general Saraiva died of wounds received in battle; and later in the year peace was declared.
- Under the leadership of Gumercindo Saraiva the country people broke into open revolt in September 1891.
- A provisional government was proclaimed by the insurgents, with headquarters at Desterro, and communication was opened with Gumercindo Saraiva, the leader of the insurrection in Rio Grande do Sul.
- All was, apparently, going well with the revolt, Saraiva having invaded the states of Santa Catharina and Parana, and defeated the government troops in several encounters.Advertisement
- Early in 1894 dissensions occurred between Saraiva and Mello, which prevented any advance of the insurgent forces, and allowed Peixoto to perfect his plans.
- When the news of the surrender of Saldanha da Gama reached Gumercindo Saraiva, then at Curitiba in Parana, he proceeded to retire to Rio Grande do Sul.
- Government troops were despatched to intercept his retreat, and in one of the skirmishes which followed Saraiva was killed.