Sandili sentence example
- Still the war went on, till at length Sandili, the chief of the Gaikas, surrendered, followed gradually by the other chiefs; and by the beginning of 1848 the Kaffirs were again subdued, after twenty-one months' fighting.
- Sir Harry Smith, informed of the threatening attitude of the natives, proceeded to the frontier, and summoned Sandili and the other chiefs to an interview.
- Sandili refused obedience; upon which, at an assembly of other chiefs (October 1850), the governor declared him deposed from his chief ship, and appointed an Englishman, Mr Brownlee, a magistrate, to be temporary chief of the Gaika tribe.
- The governor appears to have believed that the measures he took would prevent a war and that Sandili could be arrested without armed resistance.
- It was in this war that the famous Kaffir chief, Sandili, lost his life.Advertisement