Sanday sentence example
- This was true enough, but there is truth also in the remark of Prof. Sanday ("Eucharist" in Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible) that Providence even in its revolutions is conservative.
- Reinach's explanation of this ancient crux interpretum, which has been accepted by Harnack, Bousset, Porter, Sanday, Swete and others, fixes the earliest date of the composition of the Apocalypse as A.D.
- Thus the recent defenders of the apostolic authorship, the Unitarian James Drummond (1903), the Anglican William Sanday (1905), the Roman Catholic Theodore Calmes (1904), can tell us, the first, that " the evangelist did not aim at an illustrative picture of what was most characteristic of Jesus "; the second, that " the author sank into his own consciousness and at last brought to light what he found there "; the third, that " the Gospel contains an entire theological system," " history is seen through the intervening dogmatic development," " the Samaritan woman is.
- Sanday's slighter Criticism of the Fourth Gospel (1905) is in a similar position.
- Among these the works of Sanday, Corssen, Wordsworth, White, Burkitt and Harris on the history of the Old Latin and Vulgate, and especially the work of Burkitt on the Old Syriac, have given most light on the subject.Advertisement
- Sanday, followed by Chase and a few other English scholars, has suggested that the Old Latin may have been made originally in Antioch, but this paradoxical view has met with little support.
- The Inner Hebrides are much more scattered and principally include Skye, Small Isles (Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg and Muck), Coll, Tyree, Lismore, Mull, Ulva, Staffa, Iona, Kerrera, the Slate Islands (Seil, Easdale, Luing, Shuna, Torsay), Colonsay, Oronsay, Scarba, Jura, Islay and Gigha.
- Papa Westray (295) and North Ronaldshay (442) are the most northerly islands of the group. The latter is only reached from Sanday, from which it is separated by a dangerous firth 2 m.
- Sanday appeared in The Expositor for February 1890.
- It consists of the islands of Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg and Muck, lying, in the order named, like a crescent with a trend from N.W.Advertisement
- The harbour is screened from south-westerly gales by the isle of Sanday.
- Sanday (pop. 44), another basaltic island, lies close to the S.E.
- Sanday calls " an unreal and artificial standard, the standard of the r9th century rather than the ist, of Germany rather than Palestine, of the lamp and the study rather than of active life."
- With his wife, Elizabeth, he runs the Orkney Angora mail order knitwear business in Sanday, Orkney.
- Sanday resident remanded in custody A Sanday resident was remanded in custody A Sanday resident was remanded in custody on Monday, charged with several driving offenses.Advertisement
- On the other hand, Kunze, Loofs, Sanday, and Zahn find evidence of the existence of an Eastern type of creed of equal or greater antiquity and distinguished from the Roman by such phrases as " One " (God), " Maker of heaven and earth," " suffered," " shall come again in glory."
- As Dr Sanday finely says, " If the church is in something more than mere metaphor the Body of Christ, if there is circulating through it a continual flow and return of spiritual forces, derived directly from him, if the Spirit which animates the Body is one, then the Body itself also must be in essence one.
- Sanday resident remanded in custody A Sanday resident was remanded in custody on Monday, charged with several driving offenses.