Sancus sentence example
- With respect to the Roman relations of the hero, it is manifest that the native myths of Recaranus, or Sancus, or Dius Fidius, were transferred to the Hellenic Hercules.
- There was a statue of her as Gaia Caecilia in the temple of Sancus, which possessed magical powers.
- As a rule their initial consecration goes back beyond memory and tradition; we can rarely seize it in the making, as in the case of a Roman puteal, or spot struck by lightning, which was walled round like a well (puteus) against profanation, being thenceforth a shrine of Semo Sancus, the god of lightning.
- Pompeius " (see Semo Sancus).
- Sancus is obviously from sancire, meaning one who hallows the acts in which he takes part.Advertisement
- There was a second chapel of Semo Sancus on the island in the Tiber with an altar, the inscription on which led Christian writers (Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Eusebius) to confuse him with Simon Magus, and to infer that the latter was worshipped at Rome as a god.
- The cult of Semo Sancus never possessed very great importance at Rome; authorities differ as to whether it was of Sabine origin or not.
- Jannettaz, Etude sur Semo Sancus Fidius (Paris, 1885), according to whom he was a Sabine fire god.