Samo sentence example
- After the fall of the Roman empire, it was the nucleus of the kingdom of Carentania, which was founded by Samo, a Frankish adventurer, but soon fell to pieces after his death.
- About 590 the district was settled by the Slovenes, or Corutanes, a Slavonic people, who formed part of the kingdom of Samo, and were afterwards included in the extensive kingdom of the Avars.
- Here in the first half of the 7th century Samo repulsed the invading hordes of the Avars, which threatened the independence of the newlysettled Slavonic inhabitants; here also Wratislas II.
- The first of their rulers mentioned in history is Samo, who is stated to have defeated the Avars, a Turanian tribe which had for a time obtained the overlordship over Bohemia.
- Samo also defeated the Franks in a great battle that took place at Wogatisburg (630), probably near the site of the present town of Eger.Advertisement
- After the death of Samo the history of Bohemia again becomes absolutely obscure for about 130 years.
- Dagoberts victories over Samo, king of the Slays along the Elbe, and his subjugation of the Bretons and the Basques, maintained the prestige of the Frankish empire; while the luxury of his court, his taste for the fine arts (ministered to by his treasurer Eloi i), his numerous achievements in architectureespecially the abbey of St Denis, burial-place of the kings of Francethe brilliance and the power of the churchmen who surrounded him and his revision of the Salic law, ensured for his reign, in spite of the failure of his plans for unity, a fame celebrated in folksong and ballad.
- FUMO's decision not to renew the coalition pact was connected with the need for the party to grow, Samo Gudo said.