Salmeron sentence example
- With Laynez came two other young men, the Toledan Alfonso Salmeron and the Portuguese Simon Rodriguez.
- Alfonso Salmeron and Pasquier-Brouet, as papal delegates, were sent on a secret mission to Ireland to encourage the native clergy and people to resist the religious changes introduced by Henry VIII.; Nicholas Bobadilla went to Naples; Faber, first to the diet of Worms and then to Spain; Laynez and Claude le Jay to Germany, while Ignatius busied himself at Rome in good works and in drawing up the constitutions and completing the Spiritual Exercises.
- The council of Trent, in its first period, seemed to increase the reputation of the Society; for the pope chose Laynez, Faber and Salmeron to act as his theologians in that assembly, and in this capacity they had no little influence in framing its decrees.
- When the council reassembled under Pius IV., Laynez and Salmeron again attended in the same capacity.
- The abdication of Amadeus led to the proclamation of the federal republic. The senate and congress, very largely composed of monarchists, permitted themselves to be dragged along into democracy by the republican minority headed by Salmeron, Figueras, Pi y Margall and Castelar.Advertisement
- Such a statesman was sure to clash with the doctrinaires, like Salmeron, who wanted to imitate French methods; with Pi y Margall, who wanted a federal republic after purely Spanish ideas of decentralization; and above all with the intransigent and gloomy fanatics who became the leaders of the cantonal insurrections at Cadiz, Seville, Valencia, Malaga and Cartagena in 1873.
- He even went so far as to side with his colleagues, when serious difficulties arose between the new government and the president of the Cortes, Senor Martos, who was backed by a very imposing commission composed of the most influential conservative members of the last parliament of the Savoyard king, which had suspended its sittings shortly after proclaiming the federal republic. A sharp struggle was carried on for weeks between the executive and this commission, at first presided over by Martos, and, when he resigned, by Salmeron.
- The president, Salmeron, and Marshal Serrano himself lacked decision at the last moment, and lost time and many opportunities by which the republican ministers profited.
- Pi y Margall and Salmeron, in successive attempts to govern, found no support in the really important and influential elements of Spanish society.
- Salmeron had even to appeal to such well-known reactionary generals as Pavia, Sanchez, Bregna and Moriones, to assume the command of the armies in the south and in the north of Spain.Advertisement
- The president, Salmeron, after showing much indecision, resigned, but not until he had recalled the general in command in Andalusia, Pavia.
- Three presidents succeeded one another within a year, Pi y Margall, Salmeron.
- Salmeron allowed General Pavia to restore order in Andalusia.
- Ruiz Zorilla found ff0 response from the Republican masses, who looked to Pi y Margall for their watchword, nor from the Republican middle classes, who shared, the views of Salmeron, Azcarate and Pedregal as to the inexpediency of revolutionary methods.
- The Republicans, under Salmeron, also had their troubles, of due to the growing influence of Socialism; and, finally, the Conservatives were distracted by the rivalries between Silvela, Villaverde and Maura.Advertisement