Salisburys sentence example
- On the formation of Lord Salisburys cabinet, the new secretary of state for war, Mr W.
- place in 1895, and Lord Salisburys cabinet, which had consistently assailed the Egyptian policy of the old, was not unwilling to consider whether the flourishing condition of Egyptian finance, the prosperity of the country and the settled state of its affairs, with a capable and proved little army ready to hand, did not warrant an attempt being made to recover gradually the Sudan provinces abandoned by Egypt in 1885 On the advice of Mr Gladstones government.
- It they threw in their lot with Gladstone, Lord Salisburys government was evidently doomed.
- On the meeting of the new parliament Lord Salisburys government was defeated on an amendment to the address, demanding facilities for agricultural laborers to obtain small holdings for gardens and pasturethe policy, in short, which was described as three acres and a cow.
- These arrangements lasted till 1891, when, on Smiths death, the treasury and the lead of the Commons were entrusted to Lord Salisburys nephew, Mr Arthur Balfour, who had made a great reputation as chief secretary for Ireland.Advertisement
- On the meeting of the new parliament Lord Salisburys government was defeated on a vote of want of confidence, and for a fourth time Gladstone became prime minister.
- In 1896 Lord Salisburys government decided on extending the Anglo-Egyptian rule over the Sudan, and an expedition was sent from Egypt under the command of Sir Herbert (afterwards Lord) Kitchener to Khartum.
- Mr Balfour (q.v.), who became prime minister in 1902 on Lord Salisburys retirement, resigned, and was succeeded by Sir H.
- and the appendices thereto, which extend to over a hundred volumes; twelve are occupied by Lord Salisburys 16th-century MSS.