Sail in sentence example
- Theobald was followed (1240-1241) by Richard of Cornwall, the brother of Henry III., who, like his predecessor, had to sail in the teeth of papal prohibitions; but neither of the two achieved any permanent result, except the fortification of Ascalon.
- Merchant vessels were required for their protection to sail in convoy.
- On the other hand, Haakon IV., king of Norway, at once to restrain the independence of his jarls and to keep in check the ambition of the Scottish kings, set sail in 1263 on a great expedition, which, however, ended disastrously at Largs.
- It consisted of fifty-three sail in all, of which eighteen were of the line.
- The expedition sailed on the 8th of October 1 202, three hundred sail in all, with the aged Dandolo himself in command.Advertisement
- When Ignatius de Loyola (q.v..) set sail in 1523 from Venice to Palestine, only some thirteen souls could be mustered on the pilgrim-ship, while eight or nine others sailed with the Venetian state-vessel as far as Cyprus.
- As his fleet was only 57 sail in all he was not able to engage the enemy from end to end, but as the French were arranged in a line from east to west he could have fallen on the end nearest him, and could have guarded himself by telling off a part of his ships to watch the remainder.
- He was then appointed to the command of the frigate "La Boudeuse" and the transport "L'Etoile," and set sail in December 1766 on a voyage of discovery round the world.
- Setting sail in the evening, we pass by historic Frobisher Bay and head southeast through the narrows.
- We also rode in the Ferris wheel, and on the ice-railway, and had a sail in the Whale-back....Advertisement
- If the conditions, which can include positive inspections, availability of financing and more, are met, then you are ready to set sail in your new boat.
- If you want to sail in the ultimate lap of luxury, try a cruise on Silversea.
- For example, you can set sail in the off-season or book a voyage at the last minute.
- In most situations, cruises sail in November and December.
- Nile River cruise packages give you more bang for your bucket if you are looking to sail in Egypt.Advertisement
- The parades feature dazzling light displays on boats that sail in front of spectators during the evening hours.