Sahyadri sentence example
- The Sahyadri range stretches from north to south; the watershed is formed by the Chander range, which runs east and west.
- The district generally is destitute of trees, and the forests which formerly clothed the Sahyadri hills have nearly disappeared; efforts are now being made to prevent further destruction, and to reclothe some of the slopes.
- The peninsula south of the Satpura range consists chiefly of the triangular plateau of the Deccan, terminating abruptly on the west in the Sahyadri range (Western Ghats), and shelving to the east (Eastern Ghats).
- The remaining territories may conveniently be divided into a small cluster of independent zamindaris, situated in the wild and hilly tracts at the northern extremity of the Sahyadri range, and certain principalities which, from their history or geographical position, are to some extent isolated from the rest of the presidency.
- The rugged and mountainous country south of the Tapti forms the northern extremity of the Sahyadri or Western Ghats.Advertisement
- In the neighbourhood of the Sahyadri hills, particularly towards the northern extremity of the range, the country is rugged and broken, containing isolated peaks, masses of rock and spurs, which, running eastward, form watersheds for the great rivers of the Deccan.
- The streams which, rising in the Sahyadri range, or Western Ghats, flow westward into the Arabian Sea, are of little importance.
- The Sahyadri, or Western Ghats, also throw off to the eastward the two principal rivers of the Madras Presidency, the Godavari and the Kistna.
- Most of them lie among the Sahyadri hills or Western Ghats.
- To the north and east the country is open and well cultivated, but to the south it is intersected by spurs of the Sahyadri range, thickly covered in some places with forest.Advertisement