Sachsenspiegel sentence example
- In the Sachsenspiegel, a collection of German laws which was written before 1235, the count is given as the butler (dapifer) of the emperor, the first place among the lay electors.
- Altmark was erected here, and published an edition of the Sachsenspiegel in 1488 as its first book.
- when he struck out fourteen articles from the Sachsenspiegel; or Nicholas V.
- It is absurd to make this document responsible for the introduction of the bloody persecution of witches; for, according to the Sachsenspiegel, the civil law already punished sorcery with death.
- His principal works are his edition of the Sachsenspiegel (in 3 vols., 1827, 3rd ed., 1861, containing also some other important sources of Saxon or Low German law), which is still unsurpassed in accuracy and sagacity of research, and his book on Die Hausand Hofmarken (1870), in which he has given a history of the use of trade-marks among all the Teutonic nations of Europe, and which is full of important elucidations of the history of law and also contains valuable contributions to the history of art and civilization.Advertisement
- For the science of government, too, much was done, partly by the introduction from Italy of the study of Roman law, partly by the collection of native customs in the Sachsenspiegel compiled by Eike von Repgow early in the f3th century, and the less valuable Deutschenspiegel and Schwabenspiegel.
- Mention ma~ also be made of C. C. Homeyers edition of the Sachsenspiegel and L.
- The building of the court of appeal (Oberlandesgericht), with a valuable library of 60,000 volumes and many MSS., including a priceless copy of the Sachsenspiegel, the museum and the hall of the estates (Landschaftshaus) are also worthy of notice.
- The Sachsenspiegel, written before 1235, mentions the margrave as one of the electors, by virtue of the office of chamberlain, which had probably been conferred on Albert the Bear by the German king Conrad III.