Saaz sentence example
- A large German army entered Bohemia, and in August 1421 laid siege to the town of Zatec (Saaz).
- Saaz is the centre of the extensive hop trade of the neighbourhood.
- From the outbreak of the Hussite Wars to the Thirty Years' War Saaz was Hussite or Protestant, but after the battle of the White Mountain (1620) the greater part of the Bohemian inhabitants left the town, which became German and Roman Catholic.
- Exceptionally fine hops are grown in the Zatec (Saaz) district of Bohemia, and of these no less than 40% are exported.
- The potato crop, which forms the staple food of the people, is great; the Saaz district is celebrated for hops, and the flax is also of a good quality.Advertisement
- Other important towns are Pilsen (68,292), Budweis (39,360), Aussig (37,255), Schifinau (24,110), Eger (23,665), Warnsdorf (21,150), Briix (21,525), Gablonz (21,086), Asch (18,675), Kladno (18,600), Pardubitz (17,029), Saaz (16,168), Komotau (15,925), Kolin (15,025), Kuttenberg (14,799), Trautenau (14,777), Carlsbad (14,640), Pfibram (13,576),.