Red-indian sentence example
- Let us now collect specimens of the evidence for different varieties of cosmogony, ranging from those of the Red Indian tribes to that of the people of Israel.
- - Theriomorphic creators are most fully attested for the Red Indian tribes, whose very backwardness renders them so valuable to an anthropologist.
- This stage of religion is well illustrated by the Red Indian custom of offering sacrifice to certain rocks, or whirlpools, or to the indwelling spirits connected with them; the rite is only performed in the neighbourhood of the object, it is an incident of a canoe or other voyage, and is not intended to secure any benefits beyond a safe passage past the object in question; the spirit to be propitiated has a purely local sphere of influence, and powers of a very limited nature.
- - Missions among the Red Indian tribes in the North-West Territories of both the United States and Canada have long been carried on by several societies.
- The following example of divergent acclimatization of the same race to hot and cold zones is very interesting, and will conclude our extracts from Spruce's valuable notes: One of the most singular cases connected with this subject that have fallen under my own observation, is the difficulty, or apparent impossibility, of acclimatizing the Red Indian in a certain zone of the Andes.Advertisement
- But the initial difficulties of the vast field of operations were greatly increased by the want of skill of the British leaders in adapting themselves to new conditions, while even loyalist sentiment was shocked by the employment of German mercenaries and Red Indian savages against men of English blood.
- Schoolcraft mentions a Red Indian story explaining how " the bear does not die," but this tale Schoolcraft (like Herodotus in Egypt) " cannot bring himself to relate."
- Lafitau tells the same story as current among his Red Indian flock, except that the old witch and her son took the form of birds, not of hares.
- A similar feat was performed by the Sun-trapper, a famous Red Indian chief.
- A Red Indian chief, with full Feather headdress, walks out of His wigwam, and fires an Arrow at the moon.Advertisement
- The animal guardian reappears in the nagual of Central America (see article Totemism), the yunbeai of some Australian tribes, the manitou of the Red Indian and the bush soul of some West African tribes; among the latter the link between animal and human being is said to be established by the ceremony of the blood bond.
- From the blood of Uranus (this feature is common in Red Indian and Egyptian myths) were born furies, giants, ash-nymphs and Aphrodite.