Raynal sentence example
- He first visited Paris, where he saw a good deal of d'Alembert, Diderot, Barthelemy, Raynal, Helvetius, Baron d'Holbach and others of that circle, and was often a welcome guest in the saloons of Madame Geoffrin and Madame du Deffand.
- Among his numerous publications are The Light Invisible, By What Authority?, The King's Achievement, Richard Raynal, Solitary, The Queen's Tragedy, The Sentimentalists, Lord of the World.
- The Abbe Raynal wrote for the Mercure de France, and compiled a series of popular but superficial works, which he published and sold himself.
- The Histoire went through many editions, being revised and augmented from time to time by Raynal; it was translated into the principal European languages, and appeared in various abridgments.
- Raynal escaped to Spa, and thence to Berlin, where he was coolly received by Frederick the Great, in spite of his connexion with the philosophe party.Advertisement
- The published Lettre de l'abbe Raynal a l'Assemblee nationale (loth Dec. 1790) was really the work of the comte de Guibert.
- During the Terror Raynal lived in retirement at Passy and at Montlhery.
- The summers of 1788 and 1789 he spent in France, where he met Suard, Degerando, Raynal, and learned to sympathize with the revolutionary movement.
- The sermon for the success of the arms of Portugal against Holland was considered by the Abbe Raynal to be "perhaps the most extraordinary discourse ever heard from a Christian pulpit."
- Other works are Raynal's History of the Settlements and Trade of the Europeans in the East and West Indies, book x., English translation 1782; Dampier's Voyages; Geo.Advertisement