Raniganj sentence example
- In a modified degree the same is true of the Indian fields; large supplies are unworked, but in several districts, especially about Raniganj and elsewhere in Bengal, workings are fully developed.
- In 1873 there could be seen, in the thick coal seams of Bengal, near Raniganj, a seam about 50 ft.
- Near Luang Prabang, just beyond the border, in French territory, limestones with Productus and Schwagerina, like the Productus limestone of the Indian Salt Range, have been found; also red clays and grauwacke with plants similar to those of the Raniganj beds; and violet clays with Dicynodon, supposed to be the equivalents of the Panche series of India.
- It contains the great coal-field of Raniganj, first opened in 1874, with an output of more than three million tons.
- Apart from Burdwan town and Raniganj, the chief places are the river-marts of Katwa and Kalna.Advertisement
- The Raniganj coal-field is the most important in India.
- The beds there are lower in the series than those of the Raniganj field; they belong to the upper part of the Talchir group, the lowest of the Gondwana series.
- The first mine at Raniganj dates from 1820, and has been regularly worked up to the present time.
- In respect, however, of both the number and size of its mines Bengal comes easily first, with seven-eighths of the total output, the largest mines being those of Raniganj, Jherria, and Giridih, while the Singareni mine in Hyderabad comes next.
- The principal sources of iron-stone at present are the Madras ores, chiefly at Salem, the Chanda ores in the Central Provinces, and the ores obtained at and near Raniganj in Bengal.Advertisement
- The average percentage of ash in 27 assays of Assam coal was 3.8 as against 16.3 in 17 assays of Raniganj coal.
- It includes numerous seams of coal, many of which are worked on an extensive scale (at Giridih, Raniganj, &c.).
- A chord line passes by the coalfield of Raniganj, which enables this great railway to be worked more economically than any other in India.
- The most important mine in point of area, accessibility and output is Raniganj, with an area of 500 sq.