Radbertus sentence example
- Radbertus Paschasius >>
- It is clear from the treatise of Radbertus Paschasius already quoted that the word "substance" was used for reality as distinguished from outward appearance, and that the word "species" meant outward appearance as opposed to reality.
- RADBERTUS PASCHASIUS (d.
- Radbertus is one of the most important theologians in the history of the church.
- On the eucharistic controversy see the article on Radbertus by Steitz in Herzog-Hauck's Real-Encyklopadie; Bach, Dogmengeschichte des Mittelalters, i.Advertisement
- Paschasius Radbertus v.
- Goetz, Die Abendmahlsfrage in ihrer geschichtlichen Entwicklung (1904), a complete survey of the whole problem, beginning with Radbertus.
- Of special interest is the fact that Walafrid, in his exposition of the Mass, shows no trace of any belief in the doctrine of transubstantiation as taught by his famous contemporary Radbertus (q.v.); according to him, Christ gave to his disciples the sacraments of his Body and Blood in the substance of bread and wine, and taught them to celebrate them as a memorial of his Passion.
- He is best known by his treatise on the Eucharist (De corpore et sanguine Domini liber), in which he controverted the doctrine of transubstantiation as taught in a similar work by his contemporary Radbertus Paschasius.
- Ratramnus sought in a way to reconcile science and religion, whereas Radbertus emphasized the miraculous.Advertisement
- Paschasius Radbertus against Ratramnus; the fourth Lateran Council, 1215).
- But in the Eucharistic controversies of the 9th, 10th and 11th centuries the views which the term embodies were clearly expressed; as, for example, by Radbertus Paschasius (d.